Powered by Blogger.

On Self-Love (And Getting my Nose Pierced)

by - 9:54 AM


It's no secret that we struggle to love our bodies. We see every imperfection. Every flaw. There are parts of ourselves we just don't like.

For me, that part of my body is my nose.

I have a different nose than anyone in my immediate family. It's kind of weird. Rounded. It looks different from all angles. It's just... got a weird shape. This is a family nose that's been passed down through my mom's side, which is actually kind of sweet. But to me, my nose has always been one of my least favorite parts of me. Because of this, I always said I wouldn't pierce my nose. I thought it wouldn't look good on me. Why draw attention to a part of your body if you don't like it?

Or so I told myself.

My desire for a nose piercing got stronger over the years, even though I had said I'd never get one. I loved how pretty they looked on other people. So why not on me?

Because... I didn't like my nose?

Suddenly that wasn't a good enough reason.

If I wanted to get a nose piercing, why shouldn't I get a nose piercing? I decided that maybe I'd get a nose piercing. Someday.

So I bought a fake nose hoop on Etsy, and I kept thinking about it. I kept telling myself, "This month we can do it." But I never did. I kept coming up with excuses. Most of them had to do with what people would think of me.

Then, with the beginning of 2016, I decided I needed to be brave. I needed to just do it. I had waited long enough. It wasn't a snap decision. This was what I really wanted.

So, this past Sunday, my friend Charity and I went down to a piercing studio, and I got my nose pierced, I still can't believe I actually went through with it.

(Because I know you all desperately wanted to see...)

Here's the thing: I denied myself something I really wanted for years because I was afraid I wouldn't like it. Afraid others wouldn't like it. Afraid it would highlight my nose.

But you know what?

I'm choosing to not care what people think. (It's still hard, I know.)

I'm choosing to love my nose.

My nose has been passed down through my mom's side of the family. It's tied to my mom and my grandma, two of the best women I've ever known.

My nose is what makes me me. Without it, I honestly wouldn't be the same.

So that's why I had to laugh when the piercer said my nose had a "unique architecture." That's why I'm committed to loving every part of me. Every part. It's not easy, and it's an ongoing journey. But life is too short to hate yourself. Embrace who you are. You might end up with a new piercing in the process. (Just kidding.)

I love you guys. Love yourselves too. You owe it to you.

You May Also Like

16 comments

  1. Oh this post is so beautiful. I LOVE THIS, SKY. And I agree...life is too short to hate yourself. I'm...I'm still learning. XD I never like how I look in pictures (which is a big reason I hide behind the camera) and I've got a loooong way to go. My smile is what I'm unhappy with. I had very crooked teeth as a kid so I kind of learnt not to smile? If that makes sense? and even though I got my teeth straightened it kind of stuck being VERY self-conscious about my smile. So yeah. *nods* I totally know the feel, but I admire you a zillion percent for choosing to love your nose. :')

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *whispers* Everyone looks beautiful when they smile because happiness is such a beautiful quality . . .

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much, Cait! I know exactly what you mean. It's so hard. I honestly still struggle with it--there are so many days I don't like what I see in the mirror. So it's not something that I've learned yet at all. It's a daily process, and I don't know if we'll ever get to the point where we love ourselves completely, but at least we're trying. ♥ Thank you for reading!! Sending you so much love. ♥

      And I totally agree with The Magic Violinist. Smiles are beautiful. Happiness is beautiful. Rock that smile. ♥ :)

      Delete
  2. You look so cute! Thanks for sharing this story with us. :) I've found that even the most confident-seeming people have something about themselves (physical appearance or otherwise) that they're not happy with. I think it's great when we can read stories about someone who's embraced every part of them and use it as motivation to do the same. Love the piercing. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks great! Thanks for writing this.
    I'm thinking about getting a nose piercing, did it hurt very much?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate my nose too! From the front, it's okay, but not in profile. *shudders* But your nose is so cute! (If you don't mind my saying so.) And it looks really good with the nose piercing. I'm so happy for you, because I know what it's like to deny yourself something because you think it would make you look bad, and you're right, it's important to look past that and live life and not limit ourselves because we don't think we deserve or should have what we want most. And honestly, confidence and self assurance could make anyone beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. the beginning of last year was a really hard time for loving myself, but I remember when I started to embrace who I was and how I looked persay. after dying my hair purple, I felt beautiful and happy and confident. and hey--no matter what the haters said, those things were more important to me...which gave me the right attitude to realize my self-loathing was wrong wrong wrong. it's still tough, but I am doing so much better at loving myself than I ever was before...even without purple confidence. :)

    you are so adorable!! I have always thought nose piercings are the cutest. ^.^ my plan is to get a helix piercing this summer, once I dig up some money. *laughs at thirteen year old me who hated piercings because I now love them and think they're the bomb diggity*

    love love love this post, Sky!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you've had a similar moment of realization for loving yourself! It's so important. And kudos for dying your hair purple! That's so, so awesome. I'd love to try that sometime, too.

      Thank you so much! I love piercings now too! I used to hate them, but now I'm a huge fan. Getting a helix piercing sometime is also on my list--but money is a huge factor for me as well. Good luck with your helix piercing, and keep me posted on how it goes! Thank you tons for stopping by and leaving your thoughts. I really enjoyed reading them. :)

      Delete

  6. Your nose stud looks soO good on you! You actually have the perfect nose for piercing and the little ose stud compliments your pretty face. The only thing that would look cuter is a think little silver nose ring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks so much, Amy! I really appreciate the compliment. I love your idea, and I agree! I plan to hopefully switch to a silver nose ring after my piercing has healed.

      Thanks so much for stopping by! ♥

      Delete
  7. You go girl! It looks fantastic, and I think your nose is cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my god, Sky, I love this post and your peircing so much! I really struggle with the whole "love your yourself and every part of yourself" thing. Actually, one thing I struggle with is my nose...let's just say it's kind of big. I've always been super selfconsious of it but over the last six months I've actually been serisouly considering pericing it. The main thing holding me back is actually (really stupid) and it's my family's reactions to it. While my mom was totally okay with me getting my first tattoo at 17, both her and my brothers don't get why I'd want my nose periced and think it's kind of stupid. I mean, I don't have a reason why, I kind of just want to do it because. Because I think it fits who I am and it's just an awesome thing I want to do.

    Anyway, sorry for rambling about me, I think it's so very awesome that you didn't let anything stop you from peircing your nose and it looks awesome. Thanks for the inspiring post, Sky! =)

    Question, I've read nose peircings take a long time to heal? Is it a pain to take care of? Like, I have three tattoos so I'm not worried about pain but it drives me nuts having to take care of them for two weeks while they heal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for answering my questions, Sky! And don't worry, I think you did a pretty good job. =) I *think* I might get my nose pierced for my birthday in April, you're right, just wanting it is a good enough reason to get one! Luckily I've gotten tattoos so I get the whole healing thing being different for everyone (my brothers tattoos heal a lot faster than mine). I'll definitely do some research and talk to the piercer that works at the tattoo shop I go to before committing. I'm a little hesitant to pierce anything because I had a bad experience with my ears when I was little but I really want to do my nose! Anyway, thanks for taking the time to explain your experience! =)

      Delete
  9. Awwwwww. Some people struggle with pride, but I know loving myself is a really tough thing. I'm glad you've mad this breakthrough and your piercing looks really cute. ^ ^

    storitorigrace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cute nose piercing it really suits u im thinking of gettin 2 done bt not sure

    ReplyDelete